BIRMINGHAM, Ala (Reuters) - A pool party at an off-campus apartment complex near Alabama's Auburn University turned violent late Saturday night when a gunman opened fire on partygoers, resulting in multiple injuries, the Opelika-Auburn News reported.
Police would not provide additional information until a news conference scheduled for later on Sunday, an Auburn Police Department employee said. However, according to ABC News, two former Auburn football players, Ladarious Phillips and Ed Christian, were shot and killed, and another player, Eric Mack, remains in the hospital.
- Two Killed In Virginia Tech Campus Shooting
- PHOTOS: Shots Fired On Virginia Tech Campus, Officer Wounded
- Alert On Virginia Tech Campus: Shots Fired
- 18-year-old Radames Santiago of Washington Heights, is accused of posting a note on Facebook threatening to launch a "Virginia Tech attack" on the Queens campus of St. John's University.
- Police-Involved Shooting Outside Brooklyn School
- Colleges and Universities
- Auburn University
See more topics »
There was no immediate word on suspects or whether police had anyone in custody. A witness at the party told the Associated Press that he and his friends began arguing over a woman with two other men, which escalated to the shooting.
(Reporting by Tom Bassing; Editing by Daniel Trotta)