SANFORD — From the witness stand Wednesday, the state's star witness in the George Zimmerman murder trial, Rachel "Diamond" Jeantel, gave her account of Trayvon Martin's last seconds — and they were dramatic.

While on the phone with Trayvon, he told her a man was following him, someone he described as a "creepy-ass cracker," Jeantel said. He got close enough to Trayvon that she could hear the man say, "'What are you doing around here?'"

Jeantel then heard a "bump," followed by something she described as "grass sound." Trayvon said, "Get off. Get off," then the phone went dead, she testified.

Jeantel's account, though, was nearly lost amid the problems and spectacle she created. She used street slang, was sometimes defiant and talked so fast and so softly that it was often impossible to make out her words.

The court reporter interrupted her a dozen times, asking her to repeat herself. Jurors interrupted, too, although not as often, and stopped when Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson told them, "You can't ask questions. If you can't understand, just raise your hand."

They did.

Defense attorney Don West had problems, too, and kept objecting when Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda began paraphrasing her answers in an attempt to be helpful.

Jeantel, the most anticipated witness of the trial, spent 21/2 fascinating, frustrating hours on the witness stand and is to return at 9 a.m. Thursday for more, when West is scheduled to continue his cross-examination.

When West told the judge he expects that to last about two more hours, Jeantel blurted out, "What?"

Her most important job is done: telling jurors what she heard in Trayvon's final seconds of life. But she still has some explaining to do, and prosecutors will likely try to fix her reputation.

She admitted Wednesday to two lies. She told Trayvon's mother, Sybrina Fulton, and family attorney Benjamin Crump shortly after the shooting that she was 16 when she really was 18. She wanted Fulton to think she was a minor, just as Trayvon was, she said.

And she said she lied, again to Fulton and Crump, when she said she had missed Trayvon's wake because she was in a hospital.

She made that up, she said, because she did not want to see his body.

She did not find out until two days after the shooting that Trayvon had died, she said. She also said that when the phone went dead, she thought Trayvon had gotten into a fight and that his father had likely come to his rescue.

Zimmerman, a 29-year-old former Neighborhood Watch volunteer, is accused of profiling, following, confronting and murdering Trayvon, who was 17 and unarmed.

Zimmerman says he acted in self-defense after the Miami Gardens teenager attacked him Feb. 26, 2012, in a gated Sanford townhome community. He is charged with second-degree murder.

Other witnesses

Jeantel's testimony capped a rocky day for prosecutors.

Early in the day, they called two neighbor eyewitnesses who heard and saw part of the confrontation between Trayvon and Zimmerman the night of the shooting.

If jurors wanted clarity from them, they did not get it.