The heavy rain cleared up by Sunday morning, leaving behind cloudy skies and cool temperatures, with a 30 percent chance of rain.
- Photos: Southern California storm
- VIDEO: Highland Residents Coping with Damage on Christmas, Jim Nash reports
- VIDEO: La Canada-Flintridge On Mudslide Watch - Lynette Romero reports
- VIDEO: Rain Leads To Flood Watch In Laguna Beach - Chip Yost reports
- VIDEO: La Conchita mudslide 2010
- VIDEO: Storm Brings Fresh Snow To Wrightwood - Cheryl Getuiza reports
See more videos »
- Weather Reports
- Weather Warnings
- Floods and Flooding
See more topics »
About a quarter of an inch of rain fell in downtown Los Angeles overnight, and 0.39 inches fell in Pasadena. But most areas in L.A. County received much less rainfall.
Flood advisories were issued Saturday night for Tujunga, Sunland, Sierra Madre, Lake View Terrace, La Crescenta, La Canada Flintridge, Monterey Park, downtown Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lancaster, Diamond Bar and Acton.
There were no reports of major damages on Sunday, however.
The southbound 110 Freeway was closed for a time at the 91 Freeway due to flooding, according to the CHP.
Ortega Highway and the 241 Toll Road in Orange County remain closed Sunday due to rain damage.
Forecasters anticipated the storm will bring about 4 to 8 inches of fresh powder through the night Saturday at elevations about 6,000 feet.
Snow showers could continue in mountain areas Sunday.
A cold front that will temperatures in the 50s and 60s on Sunday.
Monday and Tuesday will see partly cloudy skies and even sunshine in many areas.
There will be a 40% chance of rain late Tuesday and a 60% chance on Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.
Seven previous days of rain left many areas of Southern California in shambles.
The storms were among one of the most powerful systems to strike Southern California since the memorable El Niño storms of the winter of 2004-2005.
The weather service said 8.35 inches of rain had fallen on downtown L.A. so far this December.
That means we are on track to break the record for the second-wettest December, 8.77 inches, during the El Niño storms of December 2004.
But it is unlikely to break the all-time record of December rains, when more than 15 inches fell in December 1889.
Normal December rainfall for downtown L.A. is 1.9 inches.
The wettest spot in Southern California appeared to be in the San Bernardino Mountains, where 26.35 inches of rain plopped onto Lytle Creek, which burst beyond its banks in recent days and forced authorities to rescue stranded motorists.
Close behind were the San Gabriel Mountains, where Tanbark Flats above La Verne was doused with 24.57 inches of rain. Santiago Peak in the Santa Ana Mountains checked in at 22.28 inches.