By Meredith Blake
Los Angeles Times
10:24 AM EST, November 8, 2013
Following a rash of criticism, Lara Logan has apologized for an inaccurate "60 Minutes" report on the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. special mission in Libya.
"We were wrong," she told co-hosts Norah O'Donnell and Jeff Glor in an Friday appearance on "CBS This Morning."
The correspondent explained how she and producers had been misled by a key source, Dylan Davies, known by the pseudonym Morgan Jones.
In the controversial story, which aired Oct. 27, Davies, the manager of the local guard force at the mission in Benghazi, claimed he saw the body of Ambassador Chris Stevens in a local hospital and that he'd had an encounter with one of the attackers.
But after the broadcast, Davies' credibility came under question when the Washington Post uncovered a prior incident report in which he told a different version of events.
"60 Minutes" initially stood by its report, but on Thursday acknowledged the possibility that Logan had been led astray.
"We take the vetting of sources and stories very seriously at '60 Minutes,' and we took it seriously in this case. But we were misled and we were wrong, and that's the important thing," Logan said, explaining the thorough process they'd use to corroborate Davies' tale. "We have to set the record straight and take responsibility."
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times