Friends of Corinne Schillings and Andrew Roccella

Friends of Corinne Schillings and Andrew Roccella watch from the shoreline as the search for their bodies goes on in the waters near Fort McHenry. (Sun photo by Amy Davis / March 8, 2004)

Despite intense search efforts yesterday, three passengers from the capsized Seaport Taxi remained missing in the frigid waters off Fort McHenry as some survivors recounted more tales of horror and heroism from Saturday's harbor tragedy.

In addition to the three missing people who are presumed to have perished, one passenger was confirmed dead and two others were clinging to life at area hospitals in the wake of the city's first fatal water taxi accident.

Fire Chief William J. Goodwin Jr. was determined to find the bodies of the three missing passengers today for the sake of their families.

"It's quite dismal," said Goodwin's spokesman, Kevin Cartwright, of recovery efforts. "Hopefully, we can bring these people home."

Divers were expected to continue plumbing the cold, murky depths of the Patapsco River today using sophisticated sonar equipment.

Meanwhile, investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board completed a preliminary inquiry yesterday and were planning today to re-create the last trip of the 36-foot pontoon boat, Lady D, to help determine what went wrong.

On Saturday a rapidly moving thunderstorm struck the 2-ton Seaport Taxi shortly after it left its Fort McHenry dock about 4 p.m. Fierce wind gusts flipped the boat as its captain attempted to steer it back to shore after receiving late-arriving storm warnings.

State lawmakers clamored yesterday for answers to why National Weather Service warnings did not reach the boat until it had left Fort McHenry for Fells Point with 25 passengers.

Four passengers from the Lady D were members of the Puerto Rico Air National Guard deployed in Washington and visiting Baltimore. They are Master Sgt. David Blakeley and Staff Sgts. Antonio Acosta, Alejandro Gonzalez and Luis Nazario, according to the unit's public information officer.

The four men gave e-mail accounts released by the National Guard of the accident. All four escaped from the overturned vessel by swimming through two windows that they broke and opened.

"When the boat turned over water started coming in really fast," Blakeley wrote. "As the water started coming up to what was now the top of the boat I took a deep breath. ... As I got ready to exhale I saw a light and the next thing I know I was on the surface and saw our guys."

Blakeley wrote that he then saw a couple who had two children still under water. "They were screaming for someone to help them," he wrote. "I swam down and felt a foot and got the crew mate, who was turning purple."

Blakeley said Acosta and Nazario gave CPR to the Lady D's crew mate and "brought him back to life."

Critical injuries

Not everyone was as fortunate.

Joanne Pierce, 60, of Vineland, N.J., was pulled from the water but died. The two passengers still in critical condition are Pierce's 30-year-old daughter, Lisa, and 8-year-old Sara Bentrem.

The missing are 6-year-old Daniel Bentrem, of Harrisonburg, Va., who was on an outing with his parents and two sisters, and Corinne J. Schillings, 26, of Homewood, Ill., and her fiance, Andrew M. Roccella, also 26, of Virginia.

Five friends of Roccella and Schillings arrived at Fort McHenry yesterday to watch recovery efforts. They cried and hugged one another as seven boats with divers searched a 1,000-square-yard area about 150 yards from shore in weather that went from sunshine to rain to hail.

One young man, who declined to give his name, said the couple had dated nearly six years. Family members said Roccella was about to give Schillings an engagement ring. The couple, and their parents, came to Baltimore for a weekend trip.