Vegan Butternut Squash Soup With Roasted Pine Nuts And Crumble Blue Cheese (Optional)
3 quarts vegetable stock
4 lbs butternut squash
2 cups carrots, diced 1/2 inch dice
2 cups celery, diced 1/2 inch dice
1 cup onions, diced 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 bay leave
1 pinch white pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup of French blue cheese (optional)
1 cup of roasted pine nuts
1. Peel butternut squash and cut into small cubes; don't forget to remove the seeds.
2. Place the cubes in a large tray set with parchment paper, then spray them with olive oil and put the tray in the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes at 350 degree or until squash is soft to the touch.
3. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot and add the carrots, celery and onions. Heat until the onions and carrots just start to caramelize.
4. Deglaze the pot with sherry.
5. Add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
6. Add the squash, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes.
7. Remove the bay leaf, and puree the soup in the pot with a blender until it reaches a smooth creamy consistency.
8. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
9. Roast 1/2 cup of pine nuts in a pan; do not burn them.
10. Serve the soup in individual plates or bowls with 10 or 15 pine nuts and crumble some French blue cheese. The cheese is optional if you want to keep the dish vegan.
11. Voila you are done! Enjoy.