(WICHITA, Kan.)—Despite the current drought, Wichita’s water supply is sufficient and officials see no reasons for restrictions at this point.
Joe Pajor with Wichita Public Works says Wichita draws about 60 percent of its water from Cheney Lake and the other 40 percent from wells.
Check current levels at Cheney Lake here
Pajor says it would have to be dry all winter and into next summer before Wichita would likely have to discuss water restrictions.
The Wichita water treatment plant says it averages about 50 million gallons a day. During hot weather it can produce more than 100 million gallons a day.
The max output for the plant is 140 million gallons a day.