SAN PEDRO, Calif.—As a community reached out to help Haiti, one of their own died in an eating competition.
Police are investigating the death of a 13-year-old boy who choked on a hot dog during an eating contest to raise money for Haiti at the Boys & Girls Club of San Pedro.
The Boys & Girls Club had organized a series of activities, including musical chairs, a dance contest and an eating contest. Students paid $1 to take part.
Noah, along with 12 other kids, took part in the hot dog eating game, in which contestants had to eat a hot dog covered in whipped cream to win a candy prize. The contest was not to see who could eat the most hot dogs, according to Mike Lansing, executive director of the center.
Noah suddenly began choking during the event, and a male staff member performed the Heimlich maneuver while others called 911.
Paramedics ultimately had to use an extended pair of forceps to remove the hot dog.
Noah was alive when he was taken to an area hospital, but had been without oxygen for too long, according to doctors.
Noah was removed from life support on Monday.
An initial investigation showed the kids were properly supervised, according to Los Angeles police Lt. David McGill. He said detectives believe Noah's death was an accident.
Noah was a regular club attendee, where he was part of a college-bound program.
His parents, Paul and Bonnie Akers, were unavailable for comment.