The Washington State Transportation Commission is proposing a "general fare" increase of two-and-a-half percent beginning October 1, 2011, and another three percent in May of 2012.
According to the Commission, the proposal is the first step towards meeting an overall revenue target of $310 million that must be raised by ferry fares between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2013, as required by the current Washington state transportation budget.The Commission will hold public outreach meetings to gather input on the proposal. The meetings are scheduled as follows:
- San Juan Islands: Monday July 25, on the Interisland Boat from 2:15 – 5:05 p.m., and in Friday Harbor from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the San Juan County Council Legislative Building
- Coupeville: Tuesday, July 26, from 6 – 8 p.m. at the Coupeville Inn
- Vashon Island: Thursday, July 28, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at McMurray Middle School
- Bainbridge Island: Tuesday, August 2, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the Bainbridge Island Commons
- Bremerton: Wednesday, August 3, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the Kitsap Conference Center
- Port Orchard: Thursday, August 4, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at John Sedgwick Middle School
The Commission will hold a final hearing in Seattle on Wednesday, August 24 at 1 p.m. at the Puget Sound Regional Council located at 1011 Western Ave., Suite 500 in Seattle. The Commission will take public comment and expects to adopt its final fare schedule at this hearing.