Jonathan Metz was rescued after a friend who had not heard from him for several days called police.
Jonathan Metz, who was rescued Wednesday after his arm got stuck in his furnace nearly three days before, was out of the intensive care unit at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center on Sunday, hospital spokeswoman Tina Varona said.
Metz had surgery last week to close a wound where he attempted to cut off his own arm after getting caught in a furnace for three days. Metz was rescued Wednesday after a friend who had not heard from him for several days called police.
Metz, of Taylor Road, was sitting on some boxes in his basement, trying to repair his furnace last week when his left arm became wedged in the furnace's vertical slots. He was in and out of consciousness for nearly three days before his rescue.
When his arm showed signs of a serious infection, he applied a tourniquet and, using whatever tools he could reach, began cutting his arm off just below the shoulder. Paramedics needed to complete the amputation after firefighters freed Metz.
Doctors said Metz saved his life by preventing the spread of toxins from the decaying limb.
His mother, Anne Metz, traveled to Connecticut from North Carolina to be with her son, who is expected to be fitted with a prosthetic arm after his recovery.Copyright © 2015, CT Now