2003 Perez family friend Carlos Costa, who runs USA Contractors Inc., wins bid for $5 million Park Street streetscape project. The deadline for the project is July 24, 2005.
Early 2005 Carlos Costa begins renovations on the bathroom and kitchen in Perez's 59 Bloomfield Ave. home in Hartford.
May 2006 The city's public works staff claims the Park Street project is so far behind that Costa's company is in default of his contract and the city is planning to take legal action. McGrane writes a letter to Costa's insurer notifying the insurer of the "continued failure of USA Contractors Inc. to perform under the terms" of the contract.
August 2007 State criminal investigators search Perez's home and Costa's Airport Road office. The state Department of Consumer Protection says it has opened an investigation into Costa and his company because it never registered with the state as a home contractor, a Class C misdemeanor. Further, the proper permits were not pulled for the work. Perez admits it was a mistake to hire Costa, and claims he paid the last bill for the work in July.
Aug. 23, 2007 Perez belatedly files three applications for permits — building, electrical and plumbing but does not identify the contractors in the paperwork. The permits are issued six days later.
Sept. 12, 2007 Department of Consumer Protection officials reveal the person Costa says he hired to do electrical work on the Perez house was not a licensed electrician.
Oct. 9, 2007 Costa is fined $1,500 by the state Department of Consumer Protection for supervising the mayor's renovation work without a home improvement registration and for using the unlicensed electrician. The department also levies $1,000 fines on the electrician and on the plumber.
Nov. 6, 2007 Perez wins another term.
Nov. 20, 2007 A state grand jury is been appointed as part of the ongoing criminal investigation of Perez. Testimony begins in December.
Dec. 6, 2007 The city's department of public works sends a letter to Costa, telling him if he doesn't finish the job by 30 days after the 2008 construction season begins, "the city will take action itself to complete the work using any means necessary."
May 2008 The state criminal grand jury is extended.
October 2008 The state grand jury is given six more months to work on the case.
Jan. 27, 2009 Perez is arrested.
July 23, 2009 Superior Court Judge Dennis Eveleigh decides to seal parts of his report in which he finds probable cause that crimes were committed.
August 14, 2009 Matt Hennessy, Perez's chief of staff, announces his resignation effective Sept. 14. He says he is leaving for a private-sector job and the looming trial is not a factor. He is set to receive from the mayor an "Exceptional Service Increment" bonus of $11,450.
August 24, 2009 A state court judge delays the trial by a month, saying that the extra time would allow for a longer jury selection process
August 31, 2009 A state court judge signs a warrant for Perez's arrest in connection with allegations involving former state Rep. Abraham Giles, whose no-bid deal to operate a city parking lot stirred the interest of state investigators in 2007.
September 2, 2009 Eddie Perez turns himself in to state police and is arrested for the second time in eight months. This time on counts of conspiracy and extortion regarding a no-bid deal with Rep. Abraham Giles.
November 5, 2009 A Superior Court judge combines the two criminal cases against Mayor Eddie A. Perez, denying a motion from Perez's lawyers for two separate trials, and schedules a trial to start in May 2010.
April 6, 2010 Perez's defense attorney, Hubert Santos, files the last motions for his client in Hartford Superior Court.
April 12, 2010 Jury selection is slated to begin.