A suspect in the death of a Manchester toddler posted bail on Monday and is out of jail.
Sage Warburton, 25, faces charges of risk of injury to a minor and third-degree assault for hitting the child in the head about a month before he died, according to the warrant for his arrest.
Bail was set at $500,000 at Warburton’s arraignment at Superior Court in Manchester last month, apparently in anticipation of additional charges related to the toddler’s death, but no additional charges have been filed and police have not drafted an additional warrant for Warburton’s arrest, prosecutor Donna Mambrino told Hartford Superior Court Judge Laura F. Baldini.
Still, Mambrino said, Warburton “is a suspect with respect to the death of this child.”
Last week Warburton’s lawyer, Meredith Olan, asked the judge to reduce her client’s bail. Baldini, too, was puzzled by the disparity between the bail and the charges and asked Olan and Mambrino what was going on.
Olan argued that Warburton has strong ties to the community, family support, no criminal record and a record of employment in urging the judge to reduce his bail.
The judge agreed to reduce Warburton’s bail to $75,000, but ordered that he post bail at court, be confined to his home 24 hours a day and have an electronic monitor affixed to his ankle.