Last Year's Show

Spectators watch fireworks last year at Manchester Community College. (Andrea Wise/Special to The Courant / July 6, 2013)

Connecticut's soggy Independence Day will give way to a glorious Saturday and Sunday.

Skies will be sunny, humidity will be lower and temperatures will be in the low 80s, FOX CT Meteorologist Matt Scott said.

"It's going to be perfect," Scott said Friday. "We deserve this after the last couple of days."

Hurricane Arthur will passed south and east of Cape Cod, sparing the state a direct hit. However, showers and thunderstorms along a cold front, combined with tropical downpours from Arthur, slammed Connecticut Friday with as much as one to two inches of rain, FOX CT meteorologist Sam Sampieri said.

Most of the state — with the exception of Litchfield County — was under a flash flood watch Friday.

The wet weather forced the postponement of many municipal fireworks shows and July 4th parades. But in Willimantic, the Boom Box parade stepped off as scheduled at 11 a.m. Many other fireworks displays were moved to Saturday, but others will go on later in the weekend and into next week. Click here for an updated list of Fourth of July celebrations.

Connecticut State Police have begun their holiday enforcement tally. From 12:01 on July 3 through 10:30 a.m. Friday, state police had responded to 102 accidents, including 20 with injuries. There were no fatalities in that span, however troopers issued 587 speeding tickets and 128 seatbelt tickets.

The wet holiday followed a stormy Thursday night, when a line of strong thunderstorms roared through the state, dumping 1 to 3 inches of rain, downing trees and causing scattered power outages.

Significant outages were reported in Canton, Simsbury, Hebron, Lebanon, Eastford and Woodstock.

In Berlin, a large tree fell on a house on Lower Lane, damaging the side of the home.

In Southington, a man was trapped in his car after the storm brought trees onto wires and caused a utility pole to break. A tree fell on the man's car on South East Road about 7:30 p.m. and he remained in the car because the wires that fell were covered with leaves and branches. He was not injured and was eventually able to get out of the car.