Darien once again tops the The Courant state high school ratings, as the Blue Wave handled their first challenge of the season by defeating St. Joseph-Trumbull.
The state top 10 remains the same for a second straight week, with area teams Southington and Windsor sitting at two and three. Cheshire, despite a narrow upset loss to the ground-and-pound attack of North Haven, remains at seventh in the state and third in the area.
The area rankings remain largely the same, although Xavier drops a few spots after falling on the road to Wilbur Cross, 14-7. Platt, Rocky Hill, South Windsor and Berlin all handled business in Week 3 to remain undefeated.
1. DARIEN (3-0): Mitch Pryor rushed for over 100 yards and three touchdowns to help the Blue Wave to their 28th straight win. Last Week's rating: 1. This week's opponent: at Stamford Saturday.
2. SOUTHINGTON (3-0): Will Barmore was 20-for-30 for 187 yards and three touchdowns as Southington beat Manchester 37-0, extending its regular season winning streak to 38. LW: 2. TW: at Conard-West Hartford Thursday.
3. WINDSOR (3-0): The Windsor defense notched its second shutout of the year in a 41-0 win over Farmington. Shaun Hunter and Tomasz Johnson each scored twice. LW: 3. TW: E.O. Smith-Storrs Friday.
4. ST. JOSEPH-TRUMBULL (2-1): The Cadets were stymied by Darien on Friday, 42-10. LW: 4. TW: at Wilton Monday.
5. NEW CANAAN (2-1): Sophomore Drew Pyne (four TD passes) led the way for New Canaan in a 61-14 win over Trumbull. LW: 5. TW: at Westhill-Stamford Thursday.
6. ANSONIA (3-0): Markell Dobbs' super start continued with 146 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries as Ansonia topped Oxford, 43-0. LW: 6. TW: Torrington Friday.
7. CHESHIRE (2-1): Jack Raba became Cheshire's all-time leading passer but also had three picks in a 17-14 upset loss to North Haven. LW: 7. TW: at Law-Milford Thursday.
8. MASUK-MONROE (3-0): The Panthers defense forced two turnovers and blocked a punt to help in a 36-13 victory over Barlow-Redding. LW: 8. TW: Notre Dame-Fairfield Friday.
9. WEST HAVEN (3-0): The Blue Devils rushed for 377 yards as a team in their 31-14 win over Notre Dame-West Haven. LW: 9. TW: Bassick-Bridgeport Friday.
10. RIDGEFIELD (2-1): Greg Gatto passed for 205 yards and four touchdowns as Ridgefield beat Bridgeport Central. LW: 10. TW: at Staples-Westport Friday.
4. MIDDLETOWN (3-0): Xzavier Reyes rushed for 190 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries in a 38-16 win over Hartford Public on Friday night. LW: 4. TW: at Farmington Saturday.
5. PLATT-MERIDEN (3-0): EJ Dudley rushed for 311 yards and scored as Platt topped Newington 36-14 in a CCC Division II West opener. LW: 6. TW: at Wethersfield Friday.
6. ROCKY HILL (3-0): The twin rushing attack of Joe Ferreira (six carries, 218 yards, three TDs) and Joe Catania (10 carries, 112 yards, two TDs) anchored the Terriers in a 42-6 win over Plainville. LW: 7. TW: at Bulkeley/HMTCA/Weaver Saturday.
7. SOUTH WINDSOR (3-0): Julian Ibes rushed 25 times for 208 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Bobcats (370 yards rushing, four touchdowns) in a 34-21 win over New Britain. LW: 8. TW: vs. Simsbury at Rentschler Field Thursday.
8. BERLIN (3-0): The Redcoats defeated Northwest Catholic-West Hartford 24-0 as Alex Halkias carried the offensive load, accounting for three TDs, while rushing 12 times for 125 yards. LW: 9. TW: at RHAM-Hebron Saturday.
9. XAVIER-MIDDLETOWN (1-2): The Falcons struggled to overcome the Wilbur Cross defense in a 14-7 road loss. LW: 5. TW: East Haven Friday.
10. HAND-MADISON (2-1): Delavantae Hutton rushed for a career-high 170 yards in Hand's 28-7 win over Hamden. LW: 10. TW: Harding-Bridgeport Thursday.
Follow The Courant's coverage of the high school football season on Twitter @CTHSFB and at www.courant.com/varsity247.