Plumber's Torch Causes Fire At Meadows Apartments In Simsbury

A plumber’s torch started a fire at an apartment complex in the southern part of Simsbury Tuesday.

Fire Marshall Kevin Kowalski said Tuesday night that a plumber’s torch was being used to thaw pipes in an apartment at the Meadows Apartments, 51 Hopmeadow St.

The fire was reported about 10 a.m. Tuesday. One person was home at the time, but no one was injured, said Randy Chesanek, assistant chief of the Simsbury Fire Department. Kowalski said that person was able to get out safely on their own.

Firefighters were able to knock down the flames within about 20 minutes of their arrival, he said. The frigid temperatures presented a challenge for the crews, though, with teams encountering a frozen fire hydrant. Firefighters were able to use a nearby fire hydrant instead.

The extent of damage was unclear early Tuesday afternoon, although Chesanek said the fire did not spread beyond one section of the building.

Fire departments from five towns worked at the scene. Thirty-five firefighters from Simsbury, Avon, Farmington, Canton and Bloomfield responded, Chesanek said.

A section of Hopmeadow Road, or Route 10, was closed while fire crews worked. The road reopened by noon.

Copyright © 2018, CT Now
23°