After nearly six months on the run, a man suspected of shooting his girlfriend and her two children in the city was arrested early Monday in Middletown, police said.
Federal deputy marshals took Jermaine Tywane Scott into custody at 6:30 a.m. at an apartment on Dove Lane with no gunfire or fight, police said.
Scott is accused of shooting the woman and her children — ages 12 and 17 — after an argument March 28 at the 134 Newington Ave. home they shared. He is charged with attempted murder and numerous weapons crimes, and is being held in lieu of $2 million bond until his arraignment Tuesday.
Scott was the subject of a manhunt ever since the shootings. Detectives searched apartments in New Britain as well as New Haven in the first weeks, but then suspected Scott had gotten out of Connecticut.
“When we started most of the leads we followed up were in Connecticut, then a few out of state — obviously they didn’t amount to much,” said Deputy Brian O’Neill, supervisor of U.S. Marshals Violent Fugitive Task Force in Connecticut.
Police are not saying exactly what led federal deputies to Dove Lane, a short street of apartments and one-family homes near I-91 and the Cromwell line. Scott was in the apartment with a woman when the task force and Middletown police arrested him; he was not carrying a weapon, O’Neill said.
“He acknowledged all of our commands. It’s always a good day for the community when we can have an uneventful arrest, especially with a violent individual,” he said.
Police aren’t naming the woman in the apartment or describing her relationship with Scott, but said she was “a person of interest early on” in the search. She tried to flee when they apprehended Scott, deputy marshals said.
Investigators aren’t saying how long Scott had been in Middletown, where he has been since the shooting or whether anyone deliberately helped him hide.
“There’s still an ongoing federal investigation. There are probably more arrests (coming),” said Deputy Matt Duffy, the lead federal investigator in the case.
“Our search never stopped. We’ve been looking hard,” New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell said Monday.
“We’re very appreciative of the great work by the U.S. marshals. We knew here was a very large flight risk for him going across state lines — the marshals took this case a few months ago and made it one of their full-time cases,” Wardwell said.
“He’s in custody now. I think our community is a safer place because of it,” Wardwell said. Police have not disclosed the names of the victims, and have categorized the shooting as an incident of domestic violence.
Scott’s girlfriend and her children all survived. She called 911 the morning of March 28 to say she and a juvenile had been shot.
“I've been shot, my kid has been shot ... please come quick, I'm about to pass out,” the woman said on a 911 dispatch tape. “I'm shot in the stomach, my boy was shot in the stomach, he was shot in the leg. Please help.”
She told dispatchers that her boyfriend was the shooter.
Scott was gone when police arrived. Officials immediately locked down a nearby school and shut down the neighborhood. They found the suspected getaway car nearby on Olive Street; police believe Scott then took a CTfastrak bus to Hartford to escape.
Scott has a felony record that includes assault and gun convictions. He was acquitted of a murder charge three years ago in New Haven. Detectives, led by Capt. Thomas Steck, searched the city and circulated bulletins to police agencies across the country.
After Scott was apprehended Monday, police took him to New Britain police headquarters where he was served with warrants charging him with three counts of attempted murder, criminal possession of a firearm, criminal use of a firearm and criminal possession of a high-capacity magazine. He will be arraigned in Superior Court in New Britain.