The state medical examiner has determined that the death of an 8-month-old girl who fell into a bucket of water was accidental.
Hartford police have reached the same conclusion, Deputy Chief Brian Foley said Friday.
Police were called to the Hamilton Street apartment shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday for a report that the baby, Kehlany Ramirez, was not responsive. Officers, firefighters and medics tried to revive the baby. She was taken to Connecticut Children's Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.
Investigators talked to the family and examined the scene, Foley said Thursday. They learned that, unbeknownst to the two people in the apartment, the baby had crawled after a family member and ended up in the kitchen, where a bucket used to mop the floor sat, partially filled with water.
The baby pulled herself up on the bucket and fell in, Foley said. The pail had only about 6 inches of water in it.
The medical examiner said the cause of death was asphyxia.