Police: Boston Marathon Suspect Captured Alive, Charges Will Be Filed In Coming Days

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, is seen hiding in a boat in this infrared image taken from a helicopter Friday by the Massachusetts State Police.

At the end of a daylong manhunt that stretched across eastern Massachusetts, police said they captured the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing Friday night in the backyard of a house in a Boston suburb where he had hidden in a boat.

Police took 19-year old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev into custody about a half-mile from where he and his 26-year old brother, Tamerlan, had been involved in a running gun battle with police about 20 hours earlier. The elder brother died in the gun fight.

Bleeding and in serious condition, he was admitted to a Boston hospital, a Massachusetts State Police spokesman said.

A spokeswoman for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston confirmed Saturday morning that Tsarnaev was being treated there, but declined comment on his condition. The FBI would be providing any updates, she said.

Also on Saturday, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Boston said federal charges will be filed "in the coming days."

Christina Sterling, a spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, announced her office's plans to begin the prosecution just hours after Tsarnaev was taken into custody.

Tsarnaev's capture Friday took place less than three hours after Massachusetts authorities said the hunt had turned up empty and that they were easing restrictions imposed by law enforcement on residents of Watertown, Boston and many of the city's suburbs. People across suburban Boston had been warned to stay indoors and not answer their doors while Tsarnaev was at large.

About an hour later, the sound of gunfire and booming explosions broke out in the Franklin Street area of Watertown and police converged on the house with the boat.

With the stay-in-doors advisory lifted, a homeowner living outside the search area had walked outside and saw that the door to a shed near the boat had been opened. He also noticed blood on the tarp covering his boat, police sources said, and when he lifted it, he saw Tsarnaev.

The homeowner called police, and Massachusetts state troopers also spotted Tsarnaev in the boat. After shots were exchanged, the state police officers backed off, the sources said.

Police next used helicopter-mounted heat-sensing equipment to determine whether the suspect was moving, the sources said. Then they tossed flash grenades toward the suspect to generate light to determine his position and whether he was injured, the sources said.

An FBI hostage negotiating team arrived and tried to speak with Tsarnaev. He didn't respond, Boston police Supt. Edward Davis said. The FBI then took Tsarnaev into custody without incident.

Davis said Tsarnaev did not have explosives at the time and appeared to be seriously injured.

It was 8:45 p.m., when Tsarnaev gave up. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Police found a "significant" pool of blood on and near the boat, but they had not determined whether Tsarnaev was injured during the gun battle that killed his brother or during the brief firefight with police immediately before his capture.

"We've closed an important chapter in this case," President Barack Obama said after the capture. "The people of Boston refused to be intimidated.''

But he said questions associated with the bombing remain unanswered.

"Why did young men who grew up and studied here resort to such violence?" he said. "How did they carry this out and did they have any help? We will determine what happened and investigate any associations these men may have had."

Authorities also disclosed late Friday that the FBI took three college-aged people — two men and a woman — into custody Friday afternoon in New Bedford as part of the bombing investigation. They are believed to have lived in off-campus housing for students attending the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, and Dzhokhar may have lived at the residence sometime in the past, a police source said.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was a student at UMass Dartmouth and students there Friday told police he had returned on Tuesday and Wednesday – after two bombs exploded near the marathon finish line. Among the places he was said to have visited was off-campus housing, students said.

The brothers are suspecting of manufacturing, placing and igniting the home-made bombs, killing three and injuring more than 170.