Sign up for a free Courant newsletter for a chance to win $100 P.C. Richard gift card

Ross, Revere, Asche Among 35 New Free Agents

Associated Press

NEW YORK — Tyson Ross, an All-Star pitcher for San Diego two years ago, was among 35 players who became free agents when their teams declined to offer them 2017 contracts on Friday.

Washington outfielder Ben Revere and Philadelphia outfielder Cody Asche also were cut loose, along with Arizona catcher Welington Castillo and pitcher Rubby De La Rosa, Baltimore pitcher Vance Worley and Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Louis Coleman.

Milwaukee first baseman Chris Carter and Pittsburgh pitcher Jeff Locke were non-tendered as well; their teams had already designated them for assignment earlier this week.

Teams cut players at the tender deadline to avoid committing to salary arbitration, in which about one-sixth of next season's salary is guaranteed.

Ross, a 29-year-old right-hander, was 13-14 with a 2.81 ERA in 2014 and 10-12 with a 3.26 ERA the following season. He was limited to one major league appearance this year and had surgery in October for thoracic outlet syndrome. Recovery time was expected to be four to six months, and the Padres deemed him too pricy for arbitration after he earned $9,625,000 this year.

Asche, 26, was designated for assignment earlier Friday to clear a roster spot for left-hander David Rollins, claimed off waivers from Texas. Asche hit .240 with 31 homers and 125 RBIs for the Phillies during 371 games in the past four seasons and would have been eligible for arbitration for the first time.

The 28-year-old Revere was acquired from Toronto in January for reliever Drew Storen but strained his right oblique in his first at-bat of the season, left after four innings and went on the disabled list. Revere returned May 6, hit just .217 with two homers and 24 RBIs in 103 games and would have been on track for a raise from his $6.25 million salary.

Castillo batted .264 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs and would have gotten a big raise from his $3.7 million salary.

Several players agreed to deals ahead of the deadline, including Oakland first baseman Yonder Alonso ($4 million), Chicago White Sox second baseman Brett Lawrie ($3.5 million) and outfielder Avisail Garcia ($3 million), New York Mets catcher Rene Rivera ($1.75 million) and Atlanta catcher Anthony Recker ($800,000). Among players who were already free agents, left-hander Brian Duensing agreed to a $2 million, one-year deal with the World Series champion Chicago Cubs.

DeGrom To Throw

Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom expects to begin throwing within a week or two for the first time since undergoing surgery to move a nerve in his right elbow.

"It feels like nothing happened," deGrom said at Citi Field on Friday.

Mets left-hander Steven Matz also said doctors have given him permission to return to his regular offseason routine, which will allow him to begin throwing for the first time since undergoing surgery in October to remove a bone spur from his elbow.

"I got cleared," Matz told WOR radio on Thursday. "The doctors said you're good to go, progress with your normal offseason."

The Mets' hopes for a World Series championship will again revolve on their ability to keep their pitchers healthy, with deGrom being one of five starters coming off of surgery.

Nevertheless, deGrom said the Mets' goal remains making a serious run at a title.

"We see the window," deGrom said. "And we know we have a good opportunity. We know we have a good team."

For the first time in his career, deGrom is arbitration eligible, meaning that he is due for a significant raise. He said the Mets have not raised the topic of a contract extension this offseason.

Soon, the pitcher's focus will turn toward being healthy once spring training arrives.

Said deGrom: "I'm really excited about being healthy and getting back to throwing."

Copyright © 2017, CT Now
37°