By DAVE ALTIMARI, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hartford Courant
12:34 PM EST, November 27, 2013
Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe said his department will conduct a review of its response to the Dec. 14 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting but that a report released this week shows his officers acted properly.
Newtown police arrived at the school just more than three minutes after the initial 911 call and a minute before shooter Adam Lanza shot and killed himself, a report released by State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky III indicated. They did not enter the school until nearly six minutes after arriving.
Lanza killed 20 first graders and six adults at the school. He had shot and killed his mother earlier in the day.
In his report, Sedensky said that responding officers thought there was more than one shooter. His report concluded officers saved many children's lives that day.
Kehoe has not responded to several attempts by The Courant seeking comment on the department's response. Previously he has said that the officers followed the departments active shooter protocols. The departmenr has refused to release it's active shooter policy last updated in 2002.
But in an interview with the Danbury News Times Tuesday, Kehoe said Sedensky's report "removes any doubt" about the way the department responded to the shooting.
"You have to have a practical understanding of a response to an active shooter situation,'' Kehoe told the paper. "Officers have to balance the tactical considerations for engaging a suspect."
Kehoe added that the department will do a review of the Sandy Hook shooting once the full state police report is released.
Copyright © 2015, The Hartford Courant