Congregation Adath Israel in Newtown has established a fund in honor of Noah Pozner. Send donations payable to Congregation Adath Israel, with "For The Family of Noah Pozner" on the memo line, P.O. Box 623, Newtown, CT 06470.

Family funds also have been established in memory of Olivia Rose Engel, the Friends of the Engel Family Fund, on Facebook, and the Emilie Parker Memorial Fund (at America First Credit Union in Utah), on Facebook.


The 211 InfoLine administered by United Way of Connecticut is a suicide and crisis line with links to all adult and child crisis units. It also provides information and referrals, including on mental health and grief counseling. Call 211 or 1-800-203-1234, or go to

The state Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) at has a 24-hour crisis link to service providers town by town. However, spokesman James Siemianowski recommends that people call 211 first for information on mental health issues and crisis care. "That's the primary place to call."

The Crisis Support Phone Line is staffed by Yale-New Haven Hospital professionals. Call 203-270-4283.

SAMHSA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, offers numerous online resources on talking with children, coping with grief, coping with traumatic stress. Go to It also operates the Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990.

Connecticut Clearinghouse (a collaboration of the Wheeler Clinic, DMHAS and the state Department of Children and Families) has a directory of mental health services throughout the state, searchable by community, age, and the type of services needed. It also offers youth suicide prevention services and Web resources on topics such as parenting and stress. Go to www/ and click on Resources.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255).

National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).

DMHAS also sponsors the Network of Care website at with links to a broad variety of topics, including "Helping Children Deal With Tragedies: In Response to Connecticut School Shooting," with information on what parents should talk about with children, behavioral signs to watch for in children, and other resources.

The Danbury office of the Western Connecticut Mental Health Network (part of DMHAS) provides mental health services in Greater Danbury. The office is at 78 Triangle St., Building I-4, Danbury. Call 203-448-3200.

Family and Children's Aid in Danbury is working on crisis response in conjunction with Danbury Hospital Behavioral Health. Through its Child Guidance Clinic, Family and Children's Aid offers child psychiatric services and in-home therapy. Call 203-748-5689 or go to

Wellmore Behavioral Health, based in Waterbury and with offices in Danbury and elsewhere. Crisis services, referrals and grief counseling to any families affected by the shootings. Call 203-574-9000 or go to For Child & Adolescent Services, call 203-756-7287 or 1-855-WELLMORE. For Adult Services, call 203-755-1143.

Newtown Youth & Family Services, 15 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, offers emergency counseling for Newtown families, community members and staff involved in the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy. No appointment necessary. Call 203-270-4335 or go to

Connecticut Commission on Children has information on how to talk with children after a major crisis; other resources for parents and educators and links for immediate help. Call 860-240-0290 or go to, developed by the Connecticut Center for Effective Practice and Child Health and Development Institute, offers resources for parents, teachers and caregivers.

NAMI Connecticut, state affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, offers detailed information on reactions to traumatic experiences, a list of family support groups around the state and advocacy for people with mental illness. Go to

The National Association of School Psychologists has tips for teachers and parents following school and community violence; helping children cope with crisis; talking to children about violence (in numerous languages) and more. Go to

The U.S. Department of Education has compiled a collection of resources on helping children cope with the tragedy, including how to talk with children about the school shooting, helping youth and children recover from traumatic events, tips for parents and children on talking to children about violence, resources for parents and more. Go to

The Connecticut chapter of the American Red Cross at offers resources in a variety of languages on taking care of yourself emotionally and on helping children cope with disaster.

Give An Hour, a national nonprofit organization that provides free mental health services to members of the military, Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans and their families, is offering free mental health services to anyone, including young children, affected by the tragedy. The organization has hundreds of licensed mental health professionals in the state. Other mental health professionals interested in participating should go to Those seeking help should visit and click on "Visitors" to find a local provider.

Mental Health Association of Connecticut at 61 Main St. in West Hartford provides crisis information and helps people find a mental health professional if needed. Call 1-800-842-1501 or 860-529-1970 or go to

Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Connecticut is making its Employee Assistance Program (EAP) resources available to people who need help coping with the Newtown shootings. Resources include telephone-based counseling, online resources focused on dealing with grief and help finding needed services. Call 1-877-208-8240 or go to, and use the login name "Newtown."

Nancy Schoeffler