A family spokesman has confirmed that Adam Lanza's father, Peter, claimed his son's body and that "private arrangements" for burial took place over the weekend.
State Medical Examiner H. Wayne Carer II had said Sunday that the body of the gunman in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting had been claimed sometime last week.
Lanza's burial site is being kept secret.
- Photographs From State's Attorney Report On Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting
- Adam Lanza's Fascination With Chimps Noted By Investigators
- Adam Lanza's Father Willing to Release Medical Records To Sandy Hook Commission
- Pictures: Adam and Nancy Lanza, And Those Who Knew Them
- NBC News handout photo of Adam Lanza
- Nancy Lanza
- Courant Reporters Discuss 'Raising Adam Lanza' Story
- Adam Lanza
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting
See more topics »
Lanza, 20, killed himself inside a classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14 after a shooting rampage that left 26 people dead in the school, including 20 children. Lanza earlier killed his mother, Nancy, at their house.
Carver has ruled Lanza's death a suicide but he is awaiting results of toxicology tests before completing the case.
In addition he has asked geneticists from the University of Connecticut to study Lanza's DNA for any mutations or other abnormalities that could shed light on his motivation for the shootings.
Nancy Lanza's body was claimed by a funeral home in New Hampshire and she was buried in a private ceremony earlier this month. She was born in Kingston, N.H. Carver would not comment on whether the same funeral home claimed Adam Lanza's body.
Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, although sources said he had little contact with his son in the past two years. Carver would not comment on whether Peter Lanza claimed the body.