Jonathan Metz, who was rescued Wednesday after his arm got stuck in his furnace nearly three days before, was out of the intensive care unit at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center on Sunday, hospital spokeswoman Tina Varona said.
Breaking News Mobile AlertsGet Free Breaking News, Huskies Alerts and Weather sent to your mobile phone.*
You will receive up to 8 messages per day. Text STOP to 37798 to end subscription. Text HELP to 37798 for info. Standard message and data rates apply. Click here for frequently asked questions.
- Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning
- Home and Garden Products
- Home Products
See more topics »
Metz, of Taylor Road, was sitting on some boxes in his basement, trying to repair his furnace last week when his left arm became wedged in the furnace's vertical slots. He was in and out of consciousness for nearly three days before his rescue.
When his arm showed signs of a serious infection, he applied a tourniquet and, using whatever tools he could reach, began cutting his arm off just below the shoulder. Paramedics needed to complete the amputation after firefighters freed Metz.
Doctors said Metz saved his life by preventing the spread of toxins from the decaying limb.
His mother, Anne Metz, traveled to Connecticut from North Carolina to be with her son, who is expected to be fitted with a prosthetic arm after his recovery.