When a shaken and distraught Nancy Tyler finally escaped from the South Windsor house where her ex-husband had held her hostage for 13 hours Tuesday, she bore a visible mark of the terror she endured.

In addition to numerous small marks, there was an impression from the barrel of a handgun that had been pressed hard into her face.

After allegedly being kidnapped by Richard Shenkman at 9 a.m. in Hartford and taken to 96 Tumblebrook Drive, the home they once shared, she had spent much of the day handcuffed to him, the latest chapter in a bitter and increasingly bizarre divorce.

Shenkman, in custody Wednesday with bail set at $12.5 million and facing more than a dozen charges, told police early in the standoff Tuesday that he and Tyler were "going to go together" and they "better have body bags ready," according to a court document presented at his bedside arraignment at Hartford Hospital, where he was placed on a suicide watch.

During one of his phone calls with police on Tuesday, Shenkman allegedly pointed a gun at Tyler's head and began counting down from 10.

"I truly don't know why he didn't kill me at that point," she told the New London Day Wednesday, the paper her husband had called four times during the standoff. "I was lying against the wall thinking, 'I'm going to let him do it.' "

She told police he fired a round past her head, so close she had trouble hearing for an hour.

Later, she told police, Shenkman handcuffed her to an eye hook in a basement wall, which she was able to work loose and escape about 8:30 p.m.

Police believe that Shenkman set fire to the house about an hour after Tyler escaped. He had warned police that the house was booby-trapped and wired with explosives. It was soon engulfed in flames and veteran firefighters at the scene assumed no one could survive such a blaze.

But Shenkman was spotted inside and shortly before midnight he appeared at the back door of the house, "taunting police to come in and get him," according to the court document.

"Shoot me," he shouted. "Shoot me," the document says.

He went back inside, but when he returned and fired at least two rounds from a handgun at police, they returned fire with "Less Lethal" baton rounds, knocking the gun out of his hand and giving officers their opening to rush in and subdue him, police said.

During Shenkman's arraignment Wednesday, Hartford Hospital Chief of Psychiatry Dr. Harold Schwartz said Shenkman was "in the midst of a psychotic illness" and should be placed on a suicide watch. Hospital officials did not allow reporters to attend the arraignment, but court officials provided a transcript.

The arraignment, scheduled for 3:30 p.m., was delayed about 20 minutes because it was initially unclear if Shenkman was able to participate, said his lawyer, Hugh Keefe.

"He's in and out of consciousness," Keefe said. "He's asleep one minute, he's awake the next."

Medical personnel twice gave Shenkman drugs before it was determined that the arraignment could begin with Superior Court Judge Bradford J. Ward presiding. Shenkman said nothing during the arraignment, according to the transcript.

Keefe said Shenkman was in pain from internal injuries. It was unclear when he would be released from the hospital to the Department of Correction.

He faces 11 charges by South Windsor police, including arson, threatening, unlawful restraint and violating a protective order, one of several his ex-wife had lodged against him. His bail on those charges was set at $2.5 million.

A Hartford warrant carries four more charges including kidnapping, and his bail for them was set at $10 million.