The Hartford Courant
Some types of abuse:
• Physical Abuse: hitting, punching, inflicting pain, or threatening to do bodily harm.
• Verbal and Emotional Abuse: putting you down, making you feel bad about yourself.
• Denying, Blaming: making light of the abuse, saying it didn't happen, saying it's your fault.
• Controlling, Intimidating: trying to direct everything in your life, making you afraid of any independent action or thought.
• Sexual Abuse: forcing you to have sex at times, and in ways you do not choose, or insisting you must have sex after a fight "to make up".
Source: Women's Support Services, Sharon, CT
Domestic violence statistics:
• Each year, women experience about 4.8 million domestic assaults and rapes. Men are the victims of about 2.9 million domestic assaults.
• Domestic violence resulted in 1,544 deaths in 2004. Of these deaths, 25% were males and 75% were females.
• 23.6% of women and 11.5% of men have reported being a victim of domestic violence at some time in their lives.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Copyright © 2014, The Hartford Courant