City orders historic carousel out of Inner Harbor
Rides must be moved by late March, letter says
Some of the painted animals are chipped or cracked in this 2009 file photo of the carousel at the Inner Harbor. (Baltimore Sun/Amy Davis / October 20, 2009)
- Historic carousel at the Inner Harbor
- Business leaders propose walking bridge, light shows, waterfront park for Inner Harbor
Poll: Which Greater Baltimore Committee proposal do you like best?
- Inner Harbor
See more topics »
Maryland Academy of Sciences, 601 Light St, Baltimore, MD 21230-3899, USA
But the man who brought the 106-year old Herschel Spillman amusement ride and its hand-carved wooden animals to the harbor is vowing to fight back, hoping donations and outrage will help overturn the city's decision to terminate his contract.
"They'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming," owner Richard H. Knight said Wednesday outside the carousel, which was closed for winter. "I mean, this city keeps losing things. They lost the Colts. They lost the ice rink at Rash Field. They lost the trapeze school. How many more things can we lose? This ride is an icon.
"What the harbor needs is more people, not less attractions."
But city officials say Knight has failed to file financial statements, has not paid his rent for five years and has let the venerable carousel — 41 years older than the one made by the same company that sits on The Mall outside the Smithsonian Institution — fall into disrepair.
"The city needs the site for other uses and requests that Knightco remove the carousel by March 31, 2012," a letter to Knight's Columbia-based company from the city solicitor's office says. The letter further warns that the amusement cannot accept patrons after Feb. 28, and that "time is of the essence."
"We have been extraordinarily patient with Mr. Knight," said M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's economic development arm. He was a champion of the carousel when it came to the harbor in 1981, at the time calling it a "gorgeous piece" and a "true antique."
"We simply reached the end," Brodie said on Wednesday. "We are at this point with regret. The gentleman has given a lot of time and effort."
The end of the carousel will be an end of an era, a lost chance for children and adults to play under a red and white big top and slip back into a time of simple pleasures, with few frills other than spinning around atop a wooden figurine.
Last year, in a Baltimore Sun magazine article on "100 things we love about Baltimore," the mother of Olympian Michael Phelps recalled watching her children ride the carousel "around and around with happy smiles spread across their faces."
Knight sought help from the Federal Hill Neighborhood Association on Tuesday night. Although the board took no official position, waiting instead to hear an explanation from the city, the nearly 50 attendees were "shocked and not happy about the news," according to board president Ryan Hada.
Brodie said the ouster of the carousel was unrelated to the nine proposals submitted by companies from the U.S. and Europe to revamp the look of the Inner Harbor waterfront. None of those plans includes the carousel site.
But Brodie did say that BDC members have dismissed seven of those proposals, including one from Knight and others for an aerial tram ride and zip line, volleyball courts and an "aerophare," or flying lighthouse, that would have taken people 130 feet up in the air for a panoramic view of the city.
Development officials said they did not send "turn-down" letters to two companies — a British company proposing a 200-foot-tall Ferris wheel, and a Baltimore-based firm proposing a carousel, bungee trampoline, wall-climbing and rappelling attraction, sky diving and a 200-foot-tall Ferris wheel.
Irene E. Van Sant, the project analysis director for the BDC, said no decision has been made on the proposals from those two companies. "We're still talking to them," she said.
But Jim Seay, the principal of Premier Rides of Baltimore, said his firm "is no longer involved in the RFP [request for proposal] process." He declined to comment further.
Van Sant said another request for proposals would likely have to be issued before anything could move onto the carousel site.
But Knight and his eldest daughter, Stacy Daft, said they believe the city's decision is about more than money. They said the city made it impossible for them to operate by denying repeated proposals to upgrade and sell food, and has long wanted to push them out.
Knight said that in its heyday, the carousel charged 75 cents a ride and his company took in more than $100,000. The city took out a 10 percent amusement tax and 12 percent for rent. The price of a ride is now $2, and Knight said that he's taken in no more than $25,000 each of the past several years.