The list of residents who once lived in the Hagerty and Lloyd Historic District reads like a who's who of famous Aberdonians: author L. Frank Baum, philanthropist C.C. Lee, U.S. Sen. James Henderson Kyle and F.H. Hagerty.
Kathie Allstot led a walking tour of the neighborhood Tuesday to point out the houses where the luminaries once lived and to explain some of the architectural features of the homes.
The district is shaped like a rectangle and extends from Third Avenue Southeast to Sixth Avenue Southeast, bordered by Arch Street on the east and Jay Street on the west.
Most of the homes Allstot talked about were on Kline Street.
Here are seven of the homes and information about them from Allstot's comments, as well as a booklet published by the Brown County and Aberdeen Landmark Commission.
L. Frank Baum home, 512 S. Kline St.
Built in the 1880s, this home does not have the striking features of many of the other houses in the district, but it has the distinction of being the residence of L. Frank Baum, the author of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." He lived in Aberdeen from 1888 to 1891.
He and his wife had two sons when they moved to Aberdeen and had two more more while here.
The house is across the street from the Alexander Mitchell Library (built in 1963), which has a valuable collection of early editions of Baum's books, plus memorabilia.
C.C. Lee home, 506 S. Kline St.
Built in 1951, the house is one of the newest in the historic district. It was built in the French Provincial Style by Minneapolis architect Glynn Shifflott for Clifford Carl Lee.
The exterior of the house is made of cut stone. There are many interesting architectural features, including wooden casement windows.
Lee's father, K.O. Lee, founded a precision tool company that at one time was one of Aberdeen's largest employers. Clifford, or C.C. as he was known, was a philanthropist who spent $400,000 buying property, which he gave to the community. His legacy lives on at C.C. Lee Elementary School, C.C. Lee Tennis Courts and Lee Park Golf Course.
John C. Bassett home, 401 Fifth Ave. S.E.
This large Neo-Colonial home was built in 1904 by John C. Bassett, the president of the Aberdeen National Bank. In 1941, it was purchased by Fred Peterson, an expert stone mason. He transformed the wooden structure into a brick and granite house, which he made into apartments.
Louis Lager home, 417 S. Kline St.
Built in 1891, the Queen Anne-style house has many design features. The cross gables are decorated with hand cut sawtooth and fish scale shingles. An addition under the small northwest gable was built by Lager for his wife, Hattie, to accommodate an organ or piano.
Louis Lager was a coal and wood dealer. He was very artistic and was in charge of decorating the streets when President William McKinley came to Aberdeen in 1899. He also supervised the construction of grain palaces back when Aberdeen had them.
F.H. Hagerty home, 416 S. Kline St.