Seek help from U.N.

What to do with children who enter our country illegally is very perplexing and not easily solved. There is no magical answer. Our border patrol is required to give these children within 72 hours to the Department of Health and Human Services.

HHS should have procedures to triage these children, who should be cared for humanely. If children have no family in the U.S. and have not been threatened in their own country, they should be sent home. If they have family here, they should probably be allowed to stay. If they have a significant criminal record, they should be deported.

The U.N. and other countries should be involved. Perhaps other countries should be asked to receive some of these children. Our State Department should address the root cause of this problem — living conditions in the home countries are miserable due to crime, corruption and drug lords. The U.S. and the U.N. should lean on the home countries to clean up their act.

Dale Heffelfinger

Whitehall Township

Copyright © 2018, CT Now