Pear and Parsnip Soup
- 1 medium cooking onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 2 pears peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
Sautee butter and onion on medium heat until soft but not colored.
Add parsnips, pears, wine and stock, increase heat to bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, simmer for 45 minutes
Add cream, allow to heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Puree with stick or immersion blender.
Cook's notes: Nutrition information calculated using chicken stock and light whipping cream.Autumn Salad
- 1 bag salad mix (any mix of dark greens works well)
- 1/2 red apple, sliced thin
- 1/2 green apple, sliced thin
- 4 oz. crumbled plain or herb feta cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts, sauteed in 1 tablespoon butter, then tossed with 1 teaspoon ground pepper and 3 teaspoon sugar
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Dress with desired amount of Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing.
For more healthy meal planning made simple, go to www.mealsmatter.org
(c) 2010, Dairy Council of California, MealsMatter.org.
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.