Kevin Hunt: Creepy Calls From 'Tech Support'

>> Use a credit card instead of a debit card. It's often much easier to recover stolen money through a credit-card company than from the bank that issued your debit card.

>> Only use ATMs at a bank.

Rachel From Cardholder Services

The Bottom Line last wrote about the most famous name in robocall history last summer, but a recent spike in local complaints led to a warning last month from state Attorney General George Jepsen.

Don't fall for calls, he warned consumers, from Rachel (or "Wendy") with offers of lower credit-card interest rates. If Rachel's automated voice convinces a consumer to talk to a live representative, the subsequent low-interest-rate offer includes an up-front fee, sometimes thousands of dollars.

It's against federal law to charge such a fee before a debt is either settled or reduced. Most of these calls are illegal, too, but they're almost impossible to track because the number on Call ID is a fake.

The attorney general's office has received 90 formal complaints about these robocalls since 2010, says spokeswoman Jaclyn Falkowski, but that doesn't include callers to the office's Consumer Assistance Unit who declined to file a complaint.

What to do:

>> Hang up. You're not going to insult Rachel — she's only a robot.

>> If you're a victim, file a complaint with the FTC at or call 1-877-382-4357.

Grant Deeds

Never overpay an unknown seller for something you can get for less money and greater certainty locally. That goes for grant deeds and any property record available at the town clerk's office.

For the second time in less than a year, the state Department of Consumer Protection has warned about companies sending invoices or offers related to public records.

DCP says a notice from Property Transfer Services, a company operating in the state, sent a notice to a consumer asking for a check for $83. DCP Commissioner William R. Rubenstein says it's the same scheme run by Record Retrieval Department, banished by the agency from the state.

Where to get land records:

>> Your town clerk's office, where copies of land records usually cost $1 per page, and $2 for a certified record.

Featured Stories

CTnow is using Facebook comments on stories. To comment on articles, sign into Facebook and enter your comment in the field below. Comments will appear in your Facebook News Feed unless you choose otherwise. To report spam or abuse, click the X next to the comment. For guidelines on commenting, click here.


Kevin Hunt - The Electronic Jungle

Kevin Hunt: How To Send Music Through Your Home's Powerline - April 2, 2014 - It's barely worth discussing how to upgrade a stodgy audio system with a wireless connection because once Apple's Airport Express enters...

Gail MarksJarvis

Tech's troubles stoke fear of market correction - April 16, 2014 - Now you see it; now you don't.

David Lazarus

When health insurers play games, patients lose - April 17, 2014 - Dr. Theodore Corwin, a plastic surgeon in Thousand Oaks for the last 30 years, has had run-ins with insurers before, but never one so...

Korky Vann

Malaysia Flight 370 Disappearance Adds To Flying Fears - April 14, 2014 - I'm a white-knuckle flier.