These yeast-free breads are a fast solution for the holidays
Biscuits, scones, muffins and even pancakes fall into the quick bread category, and we often find the word "tea" in the title -- think banana tea bread. (Tribune file)
1/2 cup each: firmly packed brown sugar, granulated sugar, canola oil
2 zucchini, grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pistachios
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, sugars and oil in a separate large bowl. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the zucchini and nuts.
2. Transfer batter to a buttered and floured 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; smooth the top. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert on to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing (or wrap in foil and store at room temperature).
Nutrition information: Per serving: 247 calories, 47% of calories from fat, 13 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 29 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 224 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
Glazed lemon bread
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
Cool: 2 hours
Makes: 1 loaf
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat 1 cup of the sugar and the butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl until blended. Add the egg yolks, one at a time; beat until smooth. Beat in the flour, baking powder and salt, alternating with the milk. Stir in the nuts and 1 tablespoon of the lemon peel. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter.
2. Transfer the batter to a buttered, floured 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; smooth the top. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes.
3. Just before the end of the baking time, combine remaining 1/4 cup of the sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon of the lemon peel and the lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Glaze hot bread with lemon syrup. Cool in pan on rack 30 minutes. Carefully remove the bread from the pan; cool on the rack 2-3 hours before slicing (or wrap in foil and store at room temperature).
Per serving: 237 calories, 39% of calories from fat, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 57 mg cholesterol, 34 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 147 mg sodium, 1 g fiber