1. Toast the bread lightly in a toaster or on a grill or grill pan.
2. Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggs; season with the salt and pepper to taste. Immediately lower the heat to medium-low; stir constantly with a wooden spoon or a whisk until the eggs are creamy and just beginning to set into hundreds of little curds. If the eggs look dry and pull away from the pan, you've gone too far.
Per serving: 425 calories, 36 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 401 mg cholesterol, 12 g carbohydrates, 14 g protein, 512 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
• Sub in different types of bread, such as sourdough or ciabatta.
• Add finely chopped smoked salmon to the eggs when they come off the heat.
• Add sauteed chopped onions or leeks.
• Garnish with chives or chive blossoms, chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, watercress or mache.