Sockeye salmon with green garlic, fava beans
Sockeye salmon with green garlic is a lovely and deeply colorful dish that tastes grand. (Los Angeles Times/Kirk McKoy)
Total time: 25 minutes
Note: Sockeye salmon is available from fish markets and select well-stocked markets. Green garlic is available seasonally from farmers markets and select well-stocked supermarkets.
2 pounds whole fava beans
4 (5-ounce) skin-on fillets sockeye salmon
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced green garlic, from about 4 stalks cleaned and sliced crosswise (both white and green parts)
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
1. Prepare the favas: Peel the fava beans out of the pods; you should have about 3 cups. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the shelled favas for 2 minutes. Cool in an ice bath. Peel the outer skin from each bean and set aside; you will have about 1 1/2 cups.
2. Season the salmon fillets with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it just begins to smoke, add the salmon, skin-side down (be careful; the oil will splatter when the fish is added). Cook the salmon until the skin begins to crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic to the pan with the fish.
4. Using a soup spoon, spoon the hot olive oil over the fish (do not turn it over), tilting the pan to spoon it up. Stir the garlic around the fish so that it cooks evenly while you continue to spoon the hot oil over the fish. Do this until the fish is cooked to the desired doneness, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the fish from the pan.
5. Add the fava beans to the pan, along with the juice and zest from the lemon and as many grinds of black pepper as you like. Cook just until the favas are warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon the favas and garlic among 4 plates, topping the mixture with the fish, skin-side up. Spoon some pan juices over the fish and serve immediately.
Each serving: 560 calories; 47 grams protein; 44 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 27 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 66 mg. cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 134 mg. sodium.