The veggie cook
A tasty twist on chilaquiles
It's Cinco de Mayo, time for festive food but this dish is good year-round
It doesnt have to be Cinco de Mayo day for you to enjoy this dish. (Bill Hogan/ Chicago Tribune)
1/3 cup each, tightly packed: cilantro, basil
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse the tofu in a colander. Place colander in the sink; place a heavy plate on the tofu to press out excess liquid, about 5 minutes.
2. For the marinade, whisk olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, garlic and turmeric together in a small bowl. Slice the tofu into 1/2-inch pieces, making your cuts from the largest side of the tofu block. Press each large slice with a paper or cloth towel to remove remaining moisture. Stack the pieces; cut horizontally and vertically into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the tofu in a baking dish. Add the marinade; stir to coat each piece. Keep in oven until needed, or up to 40 minutes.
3. Brush a large skillet with a teaspoon of the oil; add the onion. Cook over medium-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet.
4. Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into quarters; cut each quarter into 3 wedges. Brush the skillet with 1 tablespoon oil; cook the tortilla pieces, in batches, over medium-high heat until they begin to curl. Turn; cook until brown spots start to appear. Remove from skillet. Add remaining oil as needed.
5. Remove tofu from marinade, discarding marinade; cook in the skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with paprika; turn cubes over. Add the cooked onions.
6. Place tomatoes and the remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce in a small mixing bowl. Stir together. Add the tomato mixture to tofu mixture. Mix the salsa and the tortilla pieces together thoroughly; add to the tofu mixture. Add the cilantro and basil, stirring to distribute the herbs throughout.
Per serving: 334 calories, 42% of calories from fat, 16 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 38 g carbohydrates, 17 g protein, 385 mg sodium, 8 g fiber.
Kay Stepkin is a vegetarian cooking class instructor and former owner of a vegetarian restaurant/bakery. Email her at email@example.com.