Recipe: Chocolate pecan brownie fudge cake
Rich with chocolate flavor.
- A Seder without matzo
- What's hot: 139 of the latest recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
- Browse more than a thousand recipes from the L.A. Times test kitchen
- 26 years of our best recipes
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
See more photos »
Chocolate pecan brownie fudge cake
Total time: 50 minutes, plus cooling time
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try this or any other recipe from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen, we would like to know about it so we can showcase it on our food blog and occasionally in print. Upload pictures of the finished dish here.
1/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup finely ground blanched almonds
1 cup turbinado sugar (or granulated sugar)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon kosher-for-Passover vanilla extract
3 1/2 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round or square baking pan and line it with parchment paper so that the paper extends 2 inches beyond the pan. (This will create "handles" to remove the cake after baking.)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the potato starch, ground almonds, sugar and salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla. Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and stir together with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate and nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and, if necessary, level with a frosting spatula dipped in cold water.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist but without crumbs. While still warm, cut into 8 equal pieces, leaving the cake in the pan. Set aside the cake to cool completely, then chill. Bring the cake back to room temperature before lifting it out of the pan (using the parchment handles), and gently separate into portions.
Each serving: 457 calories; 5 grams protein; 40 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 34 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 47 mg cholesterol; 30 grams sugar; 38 mg sodium.