June 3, 2009
Total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 20 standard cupcakes
Note: Dutch process cocoa refers to a treatment whereby the cocoa is treated with alkali (alkali neutralizes cocoa's natural acidity); this cocoa can be found at cooking and baking stores as well as at many well-stocked markets.
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
3/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 ounces) cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa and coffee until combined and smooth. Set aside until the mixture comes to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugars, making sure there are no lumps.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until the mixture is light and airy, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed for even mixing.
4. With the mixer running, mix in the whole eggs, then the yolks, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla until just combined.
5. Mix in the combined dry ingredients and cocoa mixture, alternating between the two (one-third of the dry, then half of the cocoa, in stages) until both are thoroughly combined, being careful not to over-beat.
6. Evenly spoon the batter into 20 lined cupcake pans; the batter should fill each liner two-thirds to three-fourths full. Bake the cupcakes, one pan at a time and in the center of the oven, until the cupcakes have risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through for even baking.
7. Remove the pan to a rack to cool before frosting the cupcakes. The cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are made.
Each cupcake: 226 calories; 3 grams protein; 30 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 11 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 68 mg. cholesterol; 143 mg. sodium.
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times