By Wendy Donahue
August 13, 2012
The pouting models who stalk the runways wore it first, of course: Earthy but intense color on lids and cheeks, balanced by nude lips in a beauty look that designers are calling safari-chic.
This season, it's everywhere. Witness the leopard-hued Dior Golden Jungle makeup collection, the khaki greens in Tom Ford's Sahara Haze eye shadow or the Nars Rouge Tribal lipgloss, used on eyes at Rodarte's fall show. Bronzed cheekbones and a glimpse of the desert sky — blue on lids at Prabal Gurung and Jason Wu — round out the palette.
How to wear it? The key, says M.A.C. senior artist Fatima Thomas, is one strong, focused statement. "Whether you choose brows, lips or eyes, go bold. Sculpting the face is key."
The products, clockwise from top:
1) NARS Laguna Bronzing Powder, brown with golden shimmer, $34, at Sephora, Chicago.
2) Chanel Rouge Coco Shine lipstick in Empreinte, $32.50 at Chanel, Chicago.
3) Dolce & Gabbana Smooth Eye Colour Duo in Sky, $36, at Saks Fifth Avenue, Chicago.
4) China Glaze nail lacquer in Call of the Wild $3.50 at Sally Beauty Supply, Chicago.
5) Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Sahara Haze, $75, at Neiman Marcus, Chicago.
6) NARS Larger Than Life Lip Gloss, in Rouge Tribal, $26 at Sephora, Chicago.
Style brief: H&M lands Margiela, goes for baroque with Dello Russo
H&M's next big things take the cheap chic emporium in two directions: Enigmatic French house Maison Martin Margiela launches a capsule collection for men and women Nov. 15, marking a major coup for the retailer. The avant-garde label would have remained as elusive as its Belgian founder, had he not retired in late 2009. The brand has opened up since his departure, nowhere more boldly than in this collaboration. H&M is closely guarding the pieces from prying eyes pre-release, but Margiela followers are hoping for echoes of the designer's runway looks.
The month before, H&M ventures to a more flamboyant place with Anna Dello Russo, a veteran editor of Vogue Italia beloved for her extravagantly glamorous style. Her influence translates to gold strappy sandals, clutches and bracelets encrusted with turquoise..
Copyright © 2015 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC