Coq au vin
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
3/4 cup diced bacon
4 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 sliced onions (halved lengthwise and thinly sliced lengthwise)
3/4 teaspoon thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup canned, chopped tomatoes
2 cups red wine, divided
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 tablespoon oil
5 tablespoons butter, divided
24 pearl onions, peeled
1 pound mushrooms, quartered
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat the pressure cooker insert and add the bacon. Brown the bacon until crisp, stirring frequently. Strain the bacon, leaving the fat in the insert.
2. Pat the chicken dry and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to the insert and brown the pieces on both sides in the bacon fat, several minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate or baking sheet, leaving the fat in the pan.
3. Add the onions and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly caramelized. Stir in the garlic and bay leaf. Stir in the tomatoes, then 1 1/2 cups wine, scraping any flavoring from the bottom of the pan. Stir in 1 cup of the broth.
4. Place the chicken on top of the onions. Seal the pressure cooker and set the timer to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
5. While the chicken is cooking, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat until hot. Stir in the oil, then add 2 tablespoons butter to melt. Add the pearl onions and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly caramelized. Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook until golden. Season with one-half teaspoon salt and one-fourth teaspoon pepper. Off heat, add the remaining wine and broth. Cook until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and plate; leaving the sauce in the cooker. The dish can be made up to this point and chilled up to a day ahead; rewarm the chicken and sauce before proceeding with the recipe.
7. In a small bowl, stir the flour with the remaining 3 tablespoons butter to form a paste. Heat the remaining sauce until it comes to a simmer. Whisk in bits of the paste to the sauce until it thickens (you may not use all of the paste). Stir the pearl onions and mushrooms and any liquid in with the sauce. Taste, adjust seasoning if desired. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the mushrooms and onions around the chicken on the platter, and drizzle over the sauce. Crumble the bacon over the chicken, and sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Each of 8 servings: 465 calories; 35 grams protein; 14 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 30 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 133 mg cholesterol; 4 grams sugar; 747 mg sodium.Copyright © 2015, CT Now