Total time: 20 minutes, plus freezing time
Note: An easy way to make chocolate shavings is simply to scrape the side of a chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler.
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups warm espresso, or strong brewed coffee with 1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso powder added
6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup dark or milk chocolate shavings for garnish
1. To make the espresso granita, dissolve the sugar in the warm espresso. Pour the mixture into a shallow 2-quart glass, plastic or nonreactive-metal pan and place it in the freezer.
2. After two hours, remove from the freezer and use a fork to rake any frozen espresso around the edges toward the center. Return the granita to the freezer.
3. Continue to scrape the granita every 45 minutes until you get fine crystals. When it's done, you may want to use a metal pastry scraper or spatula to chop the crystals and make them very fine. Store in the freezer for up to two days, until ready to use.
4. To make the white chocolate cream, melt the white chocolate with 6 tablespoons of the cream in a medium metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
5. Whip the remaining cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Fold half of the whipped cream into the melted white chocolate, then fold in the remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
6. To serve, spoon the granita into chilled glasses and top with a dollop of the white chocolate cream. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of chocolate shavings over each. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 500 calories; 3 grams protein; 47 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 33 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 92 mg. cholesterol; 70 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, CT Now