40 minutes, plus cooling and chilling times. Makes 8 individual fools or one family-style fool
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
2/3 cup (2.8 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (1.5 ounces) whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, wheat flour, salt, cinnamon, butter and brown sugar, pulsing until they come together to form a somewhat firm dough.
2. Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to a thinness of approximately one-eighth inch. Place the dough, still covered, on a cookie sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Carefully peel the top sheet of parchment paper and bake the dough until it is a deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool the graham cracker completely, then crumble the cracker and pulse in a food processor until it is broken into coarse crumbs. This makes about 2½ cups crumbs.
PUMPKIN FILLING AND AUTUMN FOOL
1 cup pumpkin purée
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone
Prepared graham cracker crumbs
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin purée with the ground cinnamon.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream, brown sugar and mascarpone on medium to high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes.
3. Carefully fold the pumpkin purée into the whipped cream mixture using a rubber spatula. Fill a large pastry bag set with a plain decorative tip with the pumpkin filling.
4. To build the fools, place 8 half-pint glasses or Mason jars on a tray. Put a tablespoon of the graham cracker crumbs into each glass, pipe about 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin mixture directly on top. Continue alternating until you fill the glasses to the top, finishing with graham crackers. Alternatively, to serve a family-style fool, build the layers in a trifle dish (4-quart capacity). Refrigerate for at least one hour, and up to 24 hours, before serving.
Protein 8 grams
Carbohydrates 38 grams
Fiber 2 grams
Fat 61 grams
Saturated fat 35 grams
Cholesterol 180 mg
Sugar 23 grams
Sodium 134 mg
NOTE: Adapted from Roxana Jullapat of Cooks County.