Univision's "Premios Juventud" youth awards show -- featuring an opening performance by Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull that concluded with an unexpected dip in an on-stage swimming pool -- was the most buzzed about show on television last week, according to the most recent rankings from SocialGuide.
The splashy musical number set the tone for the night, in which awards were presented in 27 categories, including music, movies, novelas, sports and pop culture. Musicians Ricky Martin and Price Royce were among six Latin music stars who performed U.S. television premieres of their latest singles.
The three-hour telecast Thursday drew about 5 million viewers and also incorporated a heavy social-media component, including a real-time Twitter vote to determine the show's best-dressed. Viewers also could pose "Truth or Dare" questions on Twitter, Vine and Instagram to celebrities during rehearsals leading up to the show.
Facebook and Twitter comments about the show also appeared throughout the telecast, which was set in Miami against a backdrop of sand, palm trees and other South Beach trappings.
The social media efforts paid off, with 773,513 tweets on the night of "Premios Juventud," according to SocialGuide, a Nielsen company that uses analytics to measure Twitter conversations about TV shows. Its Top 10 list of most social TV programs include first-run episodes, live events, movies and mini-series.
Results for the week of July 15-21:
1. Premios Juventud 2013 (Univision), Thursday, 773,513 tweets
2. Catfish: The TV Show (MTV), Tuesday, 566,689 tweets
3. Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta (VH1), Monday, 438,323 tweets
4. Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family), Tuesday, 341,779 tweets
5. Teen Wolf (MTV), Monday, 293,397 tweets
6. Noche de Estrellas (Univision), Thursday, 237,214 tweets
7. WWE Monday Night RAW (USA), Monday, 236,420 tweets
8. Bad Girls All Star Battle (Oxygen), Tuesday, 149,780 tweets
9. Teen Beach Movie (Disney), Friday, 100,274 tweets
10 Big Brother (CBS), Thursday, 92,990 tweets
Copyright © 2015, CT Now