After the coffee. Before trying to snag Yankee - Met tickets for next week.
The Skinny: Did you catch the first two episodes of FX's "Louie?" It's as painful to watch as ever and still hilarious. Props to Jerry Seinfeld for playing a dark version of himself. Today's roundup includes Walt Disney's strong earnings. Also, a look at ABC heading into next week's upfront presentation and CBS CEO Leslie Moonves has a powwow with the FCC.
Daily Dose: Consolidation among reality producers continues with ITV taking an 80% stake in Leftfield Entertainment Group for $360 million with an option to acquire the remaining 20%. Leftfield has 26 shows commissioned for 2014. Its biggest hit is "Pawn Stars." ITV also recently acquired Gurney Productions and High Noon Entertainment.
Frozen assets. Walt Disney Co. had a strong second quarter with net income rising almost 30% to $1.917 billion and revenue jumping 10% to $11.6 billion, thanks in large part to its animated hit "Frozen." Revenue at Disney's TV unit was also up, thanks to increased distribution fees for its ESPN cable empire. More on Disney's numbers from the Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal and New York Times.
Is the glass half empty or half full. Heading into upfront week ABC can boast of having some of TV's most-watched comedies and dramas in "Modern Family," "Scandal" and "Grey's Anatomy." At the same time, it is headed for a fourth-place finish in the key 18-to-49-year-old demographic and had several high-profile flops this season. Vulture with a look at the pros and cons of ABC in advance of the network unveiling a new fall schedule to advertisers.
Don't mess with our money. CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves did a pop-in at the Federal Communications Commission late last week. In town for the White House Correspondents' Assn. dinner, Moonves met with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to discuss retransmission consent, which is the money CBS and other broadcasters get from pay-TV distributors that carry their content. Cable and satellite operators think broadcasters have too much leverage in retransmission negotiations and have been pushing for regulatory changes. Details on the meeting from Broadcasting & Cable.
Take that! Last week, episodes of the CBS hit "The Big Bang Theory" was taken off the Chinese website Sohu by the government there without any explanation. Creator Chuck Lorre addressed the issue a few days ago in one of the vanity cards that appear during the show's end credits. The card said among other things that "the overlords of 1.3 billion people are afraid of our sitcom. Exactly what we were going for!" More on Lorre's response from the Hollywood Reporter.
Sticking around. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has renewed Chief Executive Dawn Hudson's contract for three more years. Priorities for the years ahead include making sure Oscar ratings grow or at least stay stable and building the academy's new Miracle Mile museum. Coverage from Deadline Hollywood.
Inside the Los Angeles Times: "Taken 3" has Georgia on its mind.
Follow me on Twitter. Otherwise I might get lonely. @JBFlint.