6.8 Quake Hits Japan, Tsunami Advisory Called Off
6.8 magnitude quake off Japan coast (KTLA-TV)
- Japan Gathers for Tearful Memorial, 1 Year After Devastating Quake
- Tsunami Debris Expected To Reach California By 2013
- VIDEO: First Look At Devastated City of Sendai - Frank Buckley reports from Japan
- Photos: Japan remembers quake, tsunami two years later
- Before and after: One year after the Japan tsunami
- Photos: Earthquake and tsunami hit Japan
- Video: Japan marks quake, tsunami anniversary
- Raw video: Fukushima remembered at Japan protest
- Video: Japan's 2011 tsunami survivors still homeless
See more videos »
- Japan Earthquake and Tsunami (2011)
See more topics »
The Japanese Meteorological Agency issued a brief tsunami advisory, warning of a half-meter wave. The tsunami advisory was called off a short time after the agency issued it.
The quake was centered about 270 kilometers (170 miles) off the east coast.
There were no immediate reports of damage, police said.
This temblor comes three days after the one-year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami that killed thousands in Japan, and triggered the world's worst nuclear crisis in a quarter century.