Save up to 90% on a Hartford Courant subscription. Click here to sign up now!
CT Now

Danny Gans Died from Reaction to Potent Pain Killer

LAS VEGAS -- Entertainer Danny Gans died accidentally last month because of a toxic reaction to a pain killer, according to the county coroner.

Clark County Coroner Mike Murphy said Tuesday that the 52-year-old Gans' death was not an issue of drug abuse.

Murphy said Gans had toxic levels of hydromorphone, an opiate drug used to treat chronic pain. He had a toxic reaction to the drug because of an existing heart condition.

Police say Gans was found dead in bed at home in Henderson early May 1 after his wife, Julie, reported she couldn't rouse him.

Gans was a singer, actor and impressionist who spent more than a decade working his way to top billing on the Las Vegas Strip.

Gans' show at the Mirage earned him the title of "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" 11 times.

Over the years he had been billed as "The Man of Many Voices".

Gans was once a professional baseball player and even had a small roll in the 1988 baseball movie Bull Durham.

His childhood dream was to play third base for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Gans is survived by his wife and three children.

Copyright © 2015, CT Now