Broccoli, Cheese, and Kalamata Olive Pizza
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (2 slices each)
328 calories per serving, 27% from fat
- 1 pound broccoli (with stems), finely chopped
- ½ cup thinly sliced mixed bell peppers (organic preferred)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup unsalted tomato paste
- 1 10-ounce fully cooked whole-wheat pizza crust, such as Boboli brand
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 14 kalamata olives, pitted and thinly sliced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 1-ounce sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese, pulled into shreds
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot; coat with cooking spray.
Add the broccoli, peppers, and onion; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the peppers and onion are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper; if desired.
Spread the tomato paste thinly over the pizza crust. Arrange the sliced tomatoes over the crust; top with broccoli mixture, olives, and strands of string cheese.
Bake the pizza directly on the oven rack for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Transfer to a cutting board; top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and basil. Cut into eight wedges.
Organic pizza sauce may replace the tomato paste. Part-skim cheddar string cheese may replace the part-skim mozzarella cheese.
Baking the pizza directly on the oven rack produces a crispier crust. Use a large flat cookie sheet or a pizza peel to slide the pizza in and out of the oven.