Daily vitamins for men are essential for all ages, because at every stage of life, a man's health differs. For optimum health, the right balance of vitamins and minerals is a necessity. It is difficult to eat between 5 and 9 servings of fruit and vegetables every day, which is what a man needs for best health. But by supplementing your diet with daily vitamins, you're putting your best foot forward to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Before you head off to purchase vitamin supplements, keep these tips in mind:
- Research the supplement's effectiveness in published scientific studies. Search for such studies in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) database here.
- If you have questions, call the manufacturer and ask what published studies they have to substantiate their claims, and what quality-control systems they have to ensure the ingredients listed on the supplement label are actually in the bottle.
- If a supplement claims it will "cure" a disease, is "all-natural," or has a "money-back guarantee," be skeptical. Any thing that sounds too good to be true likely is.
- Choose brands labeled with the NSF International, US Pharmacopeia or Consumerlab seal. These verify that the supplement actually contains the ingredients stated on the label and that it doesn't contain any contaminants or potentially harmful ingredients.
- Be wary of supplements produced outside the United States. Many are not regulated and some may contain toxic ingredients.