At this age, you're setting the foundation for the rest of your child's life in terms of understanding sun safety.
- Avoid being out in the direct sun between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and be sure there's adequate shade always.
- For maximum sun protection, dress your toddler in long-sleeved, unbleached cotton clothing that is cool and comfortable. Clothing with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor listing on the label offers extra security.
- Hats and sunglasses are a must. Choose a wide-brimmed hat that protects face, ears and neck.
- Have trouble getting your child to sit still long enough to apply sunscreen? Try using water-resistant, spray-on types.
- Use sunscreens with an SPF 15 or higher rating. Look for the Skin Cancer Foundation's Seal of Recommendation.
For more information visit the Skin Cancer Foundation