When custodians went to remove them in 2009, they discovered a mass of fleas living in the fungus below.
But that's a big improvement over seven years ago, when a statewide grand jury blasted the Broward School District over its inability to curb rampant mold in scores of schools, and its lack of urgency in responding to complaints of illness by students and staffers.
Today, the district uses a two-pronged approach to combat mold that has received two national awards of excellence from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. It involves identifying minor issues before they balloon as well as quickly responding to events when they do.
"A quality program is not the absence of issues," said Jeff Moquin, executive director of support operations at Broward Schools. "That's a misconception. Pipes burst. Water goes everywhere. Mold goes everywhere."
Among the reported problems the district has dealt with from July 2008 to October 2010 are:
Lloyd Estates Elementary in Oakland Park: Mold was found on toys and desks, rust appeared on scissors and ceilings, and water-stained and rodent-chewed cardboard boxes were found in a pre-school classroom in August 2008. The year before, the room sat vacant because of a malfunctioning air-conditioner, causing mold and mildew issues.
Bethune Elementary in Hollywood: Strange smells were reported and mold was found in closets, classrooms and hallways, resulting in an itchy and ill staff, in May, August and October 2008. At times, the air-conditioner issues caused slightly elevated carbon dioxide levels.
Cypress Bay High in Weston: Three teachers suffered health issues, which doctors verified, caused by their portable classrooms in March of 2009.
Martin Luther King Elementary in Fort Lauderdale: A leaking air conditioning pipe caused mold and high levels of humidity in the cafeteria area in October 2008. The school had similar problems in 2005 and 2007.
Charles Drew Elementary in Pompano Beach: Water damaged a sink backsplash and stained ceiling tiles, and resulted in a musty smelling classroom in May 2008.
Moquin, who worked for the district when the grand jury issued its scathing report in 2003, admits the system had "a Big Brother, we know what we're doing" mentality back then that didn't fully take into account the community's concerns.
In its report, the grand jury recommended 31 improvements that included remediating entire schools with mold problems, not pieces and parts; identifying and verifying problems at schools and informing the public about how each school is being cleaned. The jury also slammed the district for reusing architectural designs before anyone knew if they had flaws and using design features like cupolas that made buildings attractive but leaked and added nothing to the functionality.
Broward officials said they voluntarily addressed most of the recommendations before the report was issued and the rest afterward.
Moquin said the district now has a system to deal with a crisis as well as help keep small things from becoming full-blown catastrophes. More importantly, he said, the district's attitude toward indoor air quality has improved.
He points to the district's lackluster response to issues at Country Isles and Riverside elementaries, which helped spark the grand jury investigation. Riverside opened in the mid-'80s with 41 roof leaks and the moisture problem was so bad electrical outlets didn't work.
Anthony Aliseo, then a 6-year-old student at Riverside, suffered headaches, pressure between his eyes, labored breathing and occasionally vomited in class. His mother, Cara Aliseo, said mold caused him to endure more than 70 allergy shots, two CAT scans and two surgeries to drain his sinuses.
She moved Anthony to another school and says his health problems vanished. But her fight with the district did not. She and a small group of parents fought to have the school repaired and procedures implemented, testifying before the grand jury and suing the district.