Many fruits and vegetables, plus shellfish, whole grains, chicken, lean red meats and dark chocolate (but not milk chocolate) are loaded with the Buffet of Youth's extraordinary ingredients--antioxidants--specific anti-aging vitamins and minerals that also fight against life-threatening diseases.
Here's why. As our bodies' cells produce oxygen they also produce atoms called "free radicals." Free radicals in the right proportion are good for our bodies because they produce energy and destroy some harmful bacteria. But when we are unhealthy or not eating a balanced diet they grow out of proportion to the number our bodies can handle and they destroy healthy cells. Antioxidants actually destroy the overabundant free radicals before they cause harm.
Vitamins A, C and E and the minerals selenium, zinc and copper are especially potent antioxidants. Vitamin C even forms collagen, and beauty experts suggest applying a vitamin C-based beauty serum to your face (after washing and before moisturizing) to smooth and prevent wrinkles.
So eat a diet that is high in antioxidants to boost your immune system and keep you looking younger.
The Buffet of Youth's Active Ingredients
- Vegetables: broccoli, spinach, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, kale collards, green peppers, Brussels sprouts, soy.
- Fruit: berries, citrus fruits, peaches, apricots, cantaloupes, tomatoes, cranberries, pomegranate, purple grapes, watermelon.
- Meats: chicken, eggs, shellfish, lean red meats.
- Beverages: red wine, black and green teas, citrus juices.
- Miscellaneous: whole grains, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate.