By Kristen Kridel, Special to the Tribune
February 27, 2013
Tips for helping a child with ADHD from professional ADHD coach Dale Davison:
• Put in place as much structure as possible.
• Demonstrate how to organize specific items, such as bookshelves and backpacks.
• Break tasks down into small steps.
• Teach time management by "externalizing" time. Demonstrate time passing with a cooking timer or song.
• Teach "self talk" or questions for the child to ask him or herself to slow impulsive actions and emotions.
• Make a plan for the task at hand, discussing specifically what needs to be done, how long each step will take and when the plan will be executed.
• Focus on encouraging and cultivating the child's strengths.
Copyright © 2015 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC